ROBERT MASUD, ESQUIRE, MASUD & CO., P.C.
60 STATE STREET, SUITE 700, BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS 02109 USA
Tel (617) 720-1100, Fax (617) 720-1052
Robert is the founder of Masud & Co., P.C. an international business law firm headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts. He practices principally in the area of International Business Law, with emphasis on assisting U.S. and foreign companies with cross-border financial transactions. His experience covers all aspects of complex cross-border financial transactions, private equity, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and strategic alliances, international banking and finance, and strategic business, finance and transactional planning for U.S. and foreign clients. His clients include a foreign government, multinationals, investment banks, merchant banks, investment fund companies, financial services providers, investment syndicates and individuals of significant wealth.
- International Business Law
- Cross-Border Financial Transactions
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Private Equity and Venture Capital
- Joint Ventures and Strategic Alliances
- International Banking and Finance
- Strategic Business, Finance and Transactional Planning
- Practice includes complex financial transactions both domestically and internationally.
- Extensive experience in analyzing foreign laws and regulations affecting cross-border transactions worldwide.
- Representation of the Republic of Ecuador in resolving securities and international banking issues with the Office of the U.S. Vice President, U.S. Department of the Treasury and other domestic and international agencies.
- Representation of U.S. merchant bank on all types of financing agreements and financing structures, both on-shore and off-shore.
- Representation of U.S. private equity firm on numerous complex commercial loan matters arising from international transactions with Australia, Europe, Latin America and the Middle East.
- Primary lawyer responsible for negotiating loan agreements as large as US$ 7.5 Billion on behalf of U.S. private equity firm with Dubai World, the state owned holding company, and its real estate subsidiary Nakheel Properties, during the financial crisis in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
- Representation of a joint venture in organizing its multinational private security contractor business, design of its banking and financial systems, and negotiation and drafting of all agreements in connection with its provision of Latin American private security contractors to Blackwater Worldwide, a U.S. defense contractor, providing private security services to U.S. State Department personnel deployed in, and their multiple facilities located in Iraq.
- Representation of a domestic investment bank in connection with the arrangement of a master guarantee to secure annual debt service repayments for bond offering in connection with the development of world’s tallest building.
- Representation of a domestic investment bank in connection with financial advisory leading to the assignment of the first public credit rating of a university in Latin America by a major institutional credit rating agency which is the first of its kind to date.
- Representation of a domestic investment bank in connection with a US$ 135,000,000 Inter-American Development Bank private sector A/B loan for an educational institution in Latin America which is the first of its kind to date.
- Representation of a domestic investment bank in connection with a US$ 200,000,000 bond issue and placement for a university in Brazil which is the first of its kind in Latin America to date.
- Representation of numerous domestic and international financial institutions in project finance.
- Represented lenders, including Chase Manhattan Bank, Chemical Bank, Manufacturers Hanover, Banco Espirito Santo, Banco Sabadell, Union Carbide and Continental Can among other U.S. and foreign financial institutions, their holding companies and affiliates and major non-bank financial companies in connection with significant complex commercial financial services litigation matters.
- Represented U.S. Merchant Bank subsidiary and personnel in lawsuit brought by 63 former investor plaintiffs, during the course of an eight year litigation and three month U.S. District Court trial (D. Massachusetts) resulting in dismissal.
- Represented Vatican based foundation since 1998 in a series of financial transactions and eleemosynary activities.
- Experience in the creation of special purpose off-shore companies, Delaware corporations and partnerships to facilitate complex financings.
- Thorough knowledge relating to Europe, Latin America and the Middle East.
- Manages and coordinates foreign counsel frequently.
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- Member, American Bar Association
- Co-Chairman, Art, Entertainment and Sports Law Committee, 1992-1994
- Member, Boston Bar Association
- Member, Dade County Bar Association
- Member, Inter-American Bar Association
- Member, International Bar Association
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Member, Society of English & American Lawyers
- Honorary Chairman, National Republican Congressional Committee, 2002
- Co-Chairman, Dole for President New England, 1995
- Co-Chairman, Dole for President Exploratory Committee New England, 1995
- Deputy General Counsel, Massachusetts Republican Party 1994-1995
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- Special Financial Envoy, Republic of Ecuador
- Named 2017 American Law Firm of the Year for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts by Corporate Vision Magazine
- Listed, Top 100 Registry, 2017
- Listed Top 100 Registry, 2013
- Listed, Marquis Who’s Who in Finance and Business, 2008
- Listed, Marquis Who’s Who in America, 2005
- Listed, Marquis Who’s Who in the World, 2003
- Listed, Marquis Who’s Who in American Law, 2000
ARTICLES, PUBLICATIONS AND LECTURES
- Working on a book manuscript for American Bar Association Publishing to be provisionally entitled Money Centers of the World scheduled for press as part of a series.
- Panelist & Moderator, American Bar Association, YLD Section on Art, Entertainment and Sports Law, “Legal Issues in Art Theft and Art Fraud Cases” Annual Meeting – New York City, New York; August 7, 1993.
- Specialization in Negotiation, Program on Negotiation, Harvard Law School, 1990-1994 (majority of coursework completed but internship left unfinished)
- J.D., Boston University School of Law, Boston, MA, 1987
- Commentaries: Journal of Book Reviews.
- M.B.A., University of Miami, Coral Gables, FL, 1987; Major in Finance
- B.B.A., University of Miami, Coral Gables, FL, 1982; Major in Finance
- Alpha Lamda Delta, National Honor Society
- Faculty Scholarship
- Phi Eta Sigma, Freshmen Honor Society
- University of Miami Honor Scholarship
- Diploma, Immaculata-La Salle High School, Coconut Grove, FL 1977
- National Honor Society
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- U.S. Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- Special Financial Envoy, Republic of Ecuador
- Attained Affiliate Status, The Law Society of England and Wales 2001-2002